Thursday, May 9, 2019

Brooklyn Greengrocer


While in New York recently to see the "Freda" show at the Brooklyn Museum of Art, we roamed around for a bit looking for a cuppa. We found a newer coffee shop of the hipster ilk and stopped for a cup. Typical, the coffee was fine until it cooled off a bit. Then it was virtually undrinkable. As we were siting there looking out the window, I noticed this quant greengrocer across the street. It looked like the perfect subject for a painting. This is the perfect example of the types of businesses that are being lost due to the gentrification of our cities. I decided to leave off the address on the awning because as it's been pointed out by someone much wiser than me, when you include numbers or words in a painting, that's what the eye is immediately drawn to. In this case, I didn't want that to be a distraction, and just let the subject speak for itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Steely Resolve"

  I haven't done an acrylic painting of a steel mill in a while. SO I thought I'd do another one.  I gave this one a looser treatmen...